Butter cookies for the win! I am yet to find any Nigerian who doesn’t love butter cookies, whether its butter cookies as in Danish butter cookies or shortbread (the “short” in shortbread actually stands for shortening as in butter), we Nigerians love our butter cookies so much i begin to wonder how much butter cookies are imported and consumed yearly which i am certain must be a staggering figure!
So why don’t we make some homemade butter cookies that are better than store bought? Yep, these bother cookies are the business! So much more better than butter cookies that you can find in any can or packet! It is worth your time an you wouldn’t be spending that much time in the kitchen anyway and the dough keeps well so you can make ahead and bake it when you need it to have incredibly delicious homemade butter cookies ready in no time!
The hint or orange makes these butter cookies recipe such a delight that looks, smells and tastes amazing…! 🙂
Here goes the print ready recipe. Enjoy!
- 225 grams (About 1 Cup) Good Quality Salted Butter (Softened)
- 150 grams (3/4 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed Orange Juice
- ¼ teaspoon Orange Zest (Zest can be gotten from one large orange)
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 250 grams (About 2 Cups) All Purpose Flour
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, sugar, orange juice and zest.. Beat until smooth and creamy using a mixer, hand whisk or large wooden spoon. Beat in the egg yolk and then stir in the flour until thoroughly combined.
- Working quickly, transfer cookie dough to a floured board or surface and knead lightly for a few seconds to ensure ingredients have been thoroughly combined. Form dough into a log and gently wrap in cling film or parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or freeze. To ensure the log stays together, you could place the wrapped dough gently into a bowl with a lid. The dough will keep this way for a while if frozen.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 165 degrees C ( 325 degrees F/Gas mark 3) . Line two large baking sheets with foil or parchment paper. Transfer dough to a board and slice into rounds. You might want to let it sit for a few short minutes before slicing so its a little easier to slice. Transfer sliced rounds to the lined baking sheets and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the sides of the cookies start to brown slightly.
- Once baked, allow cookies to cool slightly on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.